Last updated on June 9th 2019
At Shenfield Tutors, we respect the privacy of all our website visitors. Please read the guidelines below which explains how we use and take care of the information you provide to us or what information we collect from you while you’re visiting our website. This policy will be updated as and when required.
We are Shenfield Tutors, a private tuition centre in Brentwood, Essex. We are under license to My Own Tutor and use content from the My Own Tutor franchise in lessons.
What we mean by personal data
When we say ‘personal data’, we mean information such as your name, email address, telephone number, occupation, information about your child, their education or ability or even the IP address of the device you were using at the same you visited our website.
How we collect personal data
We collect the majority of the personal data we hold about you directly from you. For example, we collect your personal data when you:
- contact us via the contact us form on our website
- register for a free assessment
- sign up for our tutoring service
- attend one of our events
- purchase an online study program
- take part in our surveys and competitions
- sign up to receive our e-newsletter and other marketing communications
- contact our free tutor line for homework help or advice
- contact our customer service team
- give us information for accounting and billing purposes such as credit/debit card.
We also collect your personal data using cookies when you visit our website. Cookies are small files stored on your computer which record how you use our website and helps us tailor our services to you better. For example, an example of a cookie is Google Analytics which shows how visitors use our website and the Twitter feed widget which displays all of our Tweets on our website. You can always disable cookies if you don’t want your information to be used in this way.
How we use your personal data
We use the personal data you provide to us or that we collect from our website for legitimate reasons such as:
- responding to your query
- providing you with the service that you paid and signed up
- processing your payment for a purchase or for the service you paid for
- contacting you to give you an update about your child’s progress
- providing your child with tutoring services
- sending you relevant information about tutoring services such as bad weather closure
- sending you special offers which you have opted to receive such as discounts on mock exam days
- using cookies to personalise our website services to you (for example, our website automatically remembers your login details every time you visit or it recognises when you’re on multiple devices etc)
- to provide you with customer service
- to carry our market research which allows us to improve the service we offer.
Legal grounds for using your personal data
We will only use your personal data where there is a legal reason for example:
- you have given us your consent. We will use your data where we have your consent. You can withdraw your consent at any time. You also have the right to see which data we hold about you.
- where there is a legitimate interest for using your data. For example, fulfilling our contract with you or understanding how customers use our services and website to enable us to provide an even better service for them.
- complying with UK laws. It is possible that we may be legally obliged to hold your personal data in some instances.
How we share the data we collect
Your personal data may be shared with other third-party providers with your permission. For example, as we are under contract with My Own Tutor, we share your data with My Own Tutor who will process payments on our behalf as well as set up user profiles for students and manage all IT issues to do with users. They also provide the homework helpline which we offer to our pupils at no cost.
We may also share your personal data where we have a legal duty to do so, for example, we are required by law.
Apart from the instances listed, we do not share, sell or rent your personal data with anyone without your consent.
Your rights to data access and control
You can contact us at any time to request a copy of the data we hold about you. You can also contact us at any time if you think the data we have needs changing or has incorrect information. We will not charge you to provide you with a copy of your personal data, except if you have made multiple requests within a short space of time or requests which have no merit.
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org to make a request for your personal data.
Third party links
We occasionally link to other websites which we believe might be of interest to our students and their parents. We also use third party apps to enhance the services we provide on our website, for example, using Twitter feeds on our website or links to Instagram or even other educational websites. We have no control over the content of third party websites and apps and you click through to these websites/apps at your own risk. We cannot be held responsible neither do we accept liability for these links. Please make sure you familiarise yourself with the privacy policies of all websites or apps that are linked to from our website. You can view these policies when you click through and visit the websites or apps.